Call Today 281.377.1348
Experience and Knowledge When You Need It Most Sherry D. Tavel Attorney At Law is On Your Side

New Caney Divorce Attorney

Providing Strength & Guidance Through Your Divorce

At Sherry D. Tavel Attorney at Law, we understand that divorce can be stressful on you and your children. We are dedicated to providing compassionate, professional, and personalized legal services to help you make the right decisions and move forward with your life. With more than 30 years of legal experience, our New Caney Divorce Attorney is well-versed in the state’s family laws and have excellent relationships with local judges. We can guide you through the process and find solutions that serve your family’s needs now and in the future.

We can help clients resolve divorce-related issues such as:

  • Classifying and dividing marital property
  • Child custody orders and visitation plans
  • Child support
  • Alimony and spousal support
  • Modification of support and custody orders

Whether you are having difficulty agreeing on property division matters or facing a highly contested custody dispute, we are here for you.

Schedule a free consultation with our New Caney Divorce Attorney for guidance through this difficult time.

Divorce Basics in Texas

How do I start the divorce process?

  • To start a divorce, you must file a formal petition called the “Original Petition for Divorce.” The initial petition must include information about the parties and any requests for relief from the court, along with the basis for this request. If anything in the petition is inaccurate or you left something out, you will need to make the correction and re-serve the other party.

Where do I file my divorce petition?

  • Your divorce must be filed in a court that has jurisdiction over all the parties, which is typically the County where the couple lives. If you and your spouse are living in different counties, consult an attorney to determine which attorney you should file a case. If there are children involved, you must file in the county where your children live. Our New Caney Divorce lawyer will help you navigate these details!

What are the requirements for filing a divorce in Texas?

  • To file a divorce in Texas, you must be a resident of Texas for the past 6 months and a resident of the county where you want to file your case.

For more questions and answers related to divorce, refer to our Divorce FAQ page.

Discuss Your Case with an Experienced Divorce Lawyer

Although divorce can be tough on you and your children, we can help make the process easier and reduce the anxieties that people often face during this time. Sherry D. Tavel Attorney at Law is here to protect your rights throughout the divorce process.

Schedule a free consultation with our team today by calling (281) 377-1348!

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Top 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Mediation

    When a person decides to pursue legal action to resolve a dispute, they often envision having their day in court in front of a judge and jury. ...

    Continue Reading
  • Name Change for a Child Requires Sufficient Evidence

    A divided First Court of Appeals reversed the decision of a trial court to change a child’s name to include the father’s surname as part of the ...

    Continue Reading
  • Adverse Possession

    The most commonly used statutes of limitation to establish a claim for adverse possession are sections 16.024, 16.025 and 16.026 of the CPRC. Under ...

    Continue Reading